It is with great pleasure that the National Pinochle Association (NPA) Inc. is able to provide to qualified students, scholarship awards. National Pinochle Association Inc. is an organization that not only promotes the game of pinochle but creates an opportunity for young people who are considering entrance to college, a chance to vie for a scholarship award. The scholarship award is being offered to first year college bound students. To be considered for this award, applicants must submit to the scholarship committee an application package. It is imperative that you, the applicant, carefully read the requirements and adhere to the guidelines presented by the committee in the completion of the application package. NPA and its scholarship committee look forward to reviewing all applications so that you, the applicant, may possibly be selected to receive this wonderful award.
- The applicant must be a first year college bound student who is the child, grandchild, or great grandchild of a current member of the NPA.
- The applicant must submit to the scholarship committee an application package.
- The applicant must submit a letter of acceptance from the admission office of the institution to which he/she is applying.
- The completed application package must be postmarked and sent to the chair of the scholarship committee by June 20. Applications postmarked after the deadline will not be accepted.
- The applicant must submit the latest copy of GPA scores and SAT/ACT scores (whichever is more impressive).
- A one-page biographical statement written by the applicant must be submitted.
- Three letters of recommendation are needed. One from a NPA member (not a parent or grandparent) is needed. Another should come from a person who knows the applicant and can speak objectively about his/her character. A third letter is needed from a core teacher who has taught the applicant. (English, Science, mathematics, or history) Use the evaluation form included.
- Describe at least 2 qualities that you possess that will help you make a positive impact in society. Essay is to be typed on a separate sheet of paper and attached to the application.
- The applicant needs to have at least a 2.7 GPA.
- An official transcript from the guidance department needs to be included in the application packet.
- The applicant must submit a copy of “a release of information” letter to the scholarship committee chair that was given to the guidance department. This allows the committee to verify information given on the scholarship application.
- The application packet will be presented in a student portfolio. This portfolio should be professional, creative and done solely by you, the applicant. There is no set format for completing the portfolio, but should be submitted in a one inch to a one and half inch binder with each section typed and labeled. (other alternatives can be found in office supply stores)
- The applicant will include in the packet, copies of any awards, certificates, documentation of any extracurricular activities, and/or community involvement. (For extra-curricular activities and community service, name the organization, position held and date of involvement. Also include the name and phone # of any supervising persons.)
- (For extra-curricular activities and community service, name the organization, position held and date of involvement. Also include the name and phone # of any supervising persons.)
- No online applications will be accepted.
Mail all applications to:Roberta Johnson5714 Pembroke AvenueBaltimore, Maryland 21207
Upon the completion of the scholarship award process, portfolios will be returned to the applicants.
If after submitting an application, you find that you will not, for some unforeseeable reason, be able attend college at the intended time, please immediately contact the scholarship committee chair.